Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A History of St Martin's Dorking

Bookcase 20's A History of St Martin's Dorking see me complete the Local History section.



It has to be said it was a very boring book and at the end I didn't feel much wiser about the various churches it describes than when I started it. There's lots of minutiae in the book about every detail of the churches and all the vicars and servants of the buildings over the years. I don't have much interest in the subject matter so it's probably unfair of me to criticise it too much but I award it just 3/10. I was hoping for a few more passages to spark my interest, the Memories of Dorking book which preceded this one certainly offered a few, but much of the words washed over me as I dutifully ploughed my way through its pages.

Bookcase 21 sees me enter a new section of the library, the ninth so far. I have chosen Titanic: Building the World's Most Famous Ship by Anton Gill to read. It's a book about the construction of the ship, not the destruction which most people remember the vessel for of course.



It's amazing how many bookcases already contain a book have I have read. There was one the first transport bookcase, Into the Abyss by Carol Shaben, a book about her dad Larry Shaben who survived an aircraft accident in the 1980s. I wasn't overly impressed by it as I recall. Let's hope the one I picked is a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment