Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Piper by Danny Weston

Bookcases 13's (Teenage) book The Piper by Danny Weston is a supernatural version of the Pied Piper story set during World War II and involving evacuee children. The story is told mainly from the point of view of the teenage hero of the story in 1939, and there is also a modern day voice of his granddaughter hearing the tale from the boy who is now an old man. It's a fairly simple tale with an historical setting which has the added benefit of being educational to the young reader.




I award it 5/10 but I'm sure had I read this when I was 13 it would have got a better mark.

I return to the Teenage section (F-P) for Bookcase 14. Once again there were authors I had read before (James Patterson, James Frey and Philippa Gregory) which I am not allowed to select under my own rules. In the end I went for a book Shahana by Rosanne Hawke set in Kashmir which is told from the point of view of a teenage orphan who lost her parents in the war.



So far I have read books set in England, USA, Ireland, Sweden and now Kashmir.

No comments:

Post a Comment