Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Jumping a Bookcase

I have been away for a couple of days and got bored of Ramage so have started on Book 8 before completing Book 7. I've got another book at home from bookcase 7 which I might switch to before deciding whether to continue with Ramage (65 pages read so far). Ramage is an action thriller, but set in the 18th century, a kind of Napoleonic Guns of Navarone. It's got all sorts of nautical terms in it, the characters are very wooden, and it doesn't really do anything for me. It might improve, but I doubt it.

For bookcase eight (Crime and Thrillers M-P) the only author I couldn't consider because I had read her books before was Kate Morton (great books, but they are all very samish). There were two shelves of books by James Patterson, someone I had never heard of until fairly recently. That's the most books by anyone I had seen so far in Dorking library (two shelves!), so I felt obliged to get one out as clearly the people of Dorking must like his books. Kiss the Girls is supposedly one his better works (I did my research for once).




I know I have been moaning about spree murder books, and this is yet another example, but at least it is American! All the books I have completed so far have been British. Some of my favourite writers are American, but I find a lot of the books from the USA are written for the mass market. This appears to be as well: short chapters, short paragraphs, short sentences, short and snappy, but a long book. It's written to grab the attention and keep the reader turning the pages. Let's hope it gets me doing the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment